15 December 2008

Welcome

Welcome to my little blog.  

I'm a professor of engineering on sabbatical in Holland.  

I have to admit some embarrassment in writing this blog.  I'm an academic and live in a little college town.  My friends have blogs.  My neighbors have blogs.  My old college office mate has a blog.  The students have blogs.  The mail carrier has a blog.  


I don't read any of them.    I've tried, but I can't stay with it.     I can't see how my life or what I have to say will be any more interesting.  However, I am about to take money from the good people at the Fulbright Foundation and they would like me to document my experiences.  They don't require a blog, but they do require a report that I might like to compile from some of these entries.  Maybe you too are going to Holland for an extended visit, or you really like bikes, or you are into theoretical optics and physics, or you find the daily doings of a midwestern engineering professor in Europe really compelling.  What ever keeps you reading, I hope you enjoy it.

So that's my excuse. 

Since I'll be a representative of both the Foundation and the US government, I'm going to try to suppress  my natural tendencies to curse, to be snarky and sarcastic, and generally to attempt to p**s people off just to see how they react.  We'll see how that goes.

My prediction is that I will post less and less frequently so that by March I have one or two entries, maybe one in April and then I forget how to navigate to the site where I log in to edit this thing.  So keep checking back.

Did you know I'm kinda famous for my motivational talks?





1 comment:

  1. Very familiar with your motivational speeches...I've added this blog to "my favorites" and will be living all my patented Holland fantasies vicariously through you...great pics by the way.

    ReplyDelete