26 December 2008

New camera, stubborn women, the intertubes back on my computer


New camera

We have decent camera that's a couple of years old.  I haven't really paid attention to the consumer camera market.  I work on projects that include 1024 element line cameras for spectroscopy that cost upwards of $10,000.  Yes, that's a 1-D array with a kilopixel for more than ten kilobucks.  So today I decided it would be handy to have a light, cheap, second camera to go along with our five megapixel camera, I was a little astonished to buy an 8MP Nikon CoolPix for about one hundred bucks.  Takes a good picture too.


Stubborn women

Back on the 23rd we got freezing rain here.  I went outside to do something and promptly fell flat.  My mother-in-law rushed out to check on me and did the same.  I've had a run of bad luck lately, injurywise, and figured maybe I broke my elbow.  No, I was fine.  My mother-in-law complained that her wrist was a bit sore.  We encouraged her to go to the ER.  No doing.   The next day it was so sore she couldn't put her car in drive.  Today she agreed to go to the ER, but only because it would allow her to claim sick days at work when she took time off for what she was sure was a sprain.  I offered to drive.  I argued I should drive.  I insisted she let me drive.  Not having any of it. 

So we got a call a few hours later to come pick her up because she has two breaks and couldn't drive home.  


Oh yeah.  She's a nurse.   

I married into this.  And hard-headedness is demonstrably hereditary.   





The intertubes are back on my computer

I finally figured out how to get the modem here to give me a new DHCP lease and got my own machine back on-line.  Yeah.  I have email again (I download everything to a local client and believe that webmail is only for whippersnappers).  I can also upload pictures again as you can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment