21 December 2008

Old friends, old home and a graduation

So I heard from a couple of old friends last week.  High school pals.  Guys I played sports with.   I was a little surprised at how happy I was to hear from them.  Not that I wouldn't have wanted to hear from these guys in particular, but that I was actually happy to be reminded of my home town and my childhood.  I don't go back to the old home very often.  In fact it's been more than a year now and will be closer to two before I do get back at all.  I usually think of going back with a little dread.   I made a point of not being back for my ten year class reunion in 2000.  

So a note from these guys made me wonder why I treat the old hometown with so little regard.  I thought about the rather large number of very fine people I knew back then.  Sure there are a fair number that I am very happy to never see or hear from again, but there were also quite a few that I am sure I would still be fortunate and glad to call my friends.  I think the real problem is this:  I am one of the people I'd be happy not to hear from again.  I was a fairly gung-ho guy, and took myself far too seriously.  I think this was at least in part a reaction to the small-town mentality where people didn't always take themselves or their lives seriously enough.  Now that I work in academia where thou shalt take thyself and thy work quite seriously indeed, I have very little seriousness in me.     Anyway, I try to go easier on myself and the people around me these days and I am afraid I have been projecting my dislike for the kid I was two decades ago onto the people who were kind enough to put up with me back then.   I think I might even try to go back for the 2010 reunion, although a lot of the folks I would really like to see were a little older or a little younger than me.  And the guys that got in touch are definitely among those I'd really like to see.  

About a year ago I tried googling a few old friends mostly out of curiosity. Maybe I'll give that another try soon.  I'm sure a trip home next summer could put me in touch  with a lot of people just by walking up and knocking on some real-life, actual, solid, 3-D, not-an-avatar, undigitized doors.  

One of the very few things I am serious about is the mentoring of students.  I was most pleased and proud to attend graduation ceremonies for Andy Mitofsky this weekend.  Andy wrote a lovely PhD thesis under me and today is teaching at Trine University.  I'm very proud of Andy and I was really happy to see that she seems to be really happy.  







1 comment:

  1. I tend to believe that we are fairly harsh when reflecting on ourselves during our late teens, focusing perhaps on those parts of our personality that we don't particularly like instead of focusing on the positives. For instance, being a mentor to younger peers...a role that seems to have turned into a profession.

    ReplyDelete