18 February 2009

NEMO


Well said

Check out David Hembrows blog entry today.

NEMO

We went to the NEMO museum in Amsterdam with the kids yesterday.  It's a bit of a cross between the Science Center and the Magic House in Saint Louis.  I'd say it ranks close but behind those places except that the NEMO is very pretty from the outside.  The Science Center has the advantage of being free.  It's actually strange that the NEMO is fairly expensive (12.5 euros each) while so many great Dutch museums are much cheaper than I would expect them to be in the States.  Anyway, I was not good about taking photos and now I am really regretting it because the thing that I want to write about is hard to convey without a picture.  Basically they have ....

A sex museum for kids!  

There is a permanent display called Teen Facts that is really direct and honest about the things teenagers deal with including sex.  I think it's healthy and well-done, but I cannot imagine anything like this surviving in the US.  Any entire army of evangelical ministers would take time off from embezzling and hiring male prostitutes to storm the place.  One exhibit was a puppet show of sorts where the kids could reach in and manipulate giant tongues, one on each side.  It was titled ``French Kissing.''  


No comments:

Post a Comment