02 January 2009

The great swinging pendulum

I wrote, or tried to write a follow-up to the post on the U of R.  It was long, boring and mostly about me.  So, I have fallen right into the trap I first tried to avoid in writing a blog and then embraced as a way out of detched boredom, and now have turned into long winded drivel.  I will try to swing back a bit to center and write something of perhaps broad interest.

The great man

In writing stories of my own experiences at UR, I was just trying to drive to this point:
I was extremely fortunate to do my thesis work under Emil Wolf.

You can read the public accounts of him elsewhere.  And I recommend A Tribute to Emil Wolf both for scientific content and personal comments by his many students and colleagues.
  
My own personal experience with him was deeply rewarding.  We had lunch or coffee together a few times a week.  These were very productive times and taught me the value of casually kicking ideas around.  I learned not to cling tightly to every idea and demand to be a coauthor on every manuscript to which I made a minor contribution.  I learned to offer coauthorships to anyone who had made even a minor contribution.  I realized that science was a gateway to a world of great friends scattered over the globe and that for most of us, the friendship will have more lasting power than the science.  That last one is a hard thing to accept for a young go-getter.  I don't think many mentors can teach these things as well as Prof. Wolf.  He simply makes himself a powerful example.  

For all the personal time and real friendship Prof. Wolf  offered me, he was also slightly formal.  I was well into my post-doc when I saw him at a meeting and he took me by the arm and said "Scott, we've known each other a long time now.  I think you should call me Emil."  With that I entered a very rarified club and one of the few groups membership in which I'll take pride.  

The flight, arrival in the Netherlands

The flight was surprisingly easy.  The boys were angelic and the people at the airline were helpful.  I think we won a fair bit of pity.  Here are some photos.







2 comments:

  1. Glad the flight went well and I look forward to reading about your adventures! Josie says "hi" to L and she can't wait to wrestle with him when you get back. (Do you mind if I link to your blog?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, hey Linda. Pretty sad. I don;t read my own blog. I just caughtthe comment. Of course I don't mind. I hope everyone is feeling ok after the accident. Even if there's no physical trauma, it's a bit shaking, I know.

    Best,

    Scott

    ReplyDelete